Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Online Article that Got Me a Job

Recently, I started doing some writing at a new residual earning site called Zujava.  I like it so far.  It is fun and I'm enjoying being creative.  I started the account with the intention of writing about television shows because I love reality shows and crime shows.

But at the suggestion of a post in the forum, I decided to write a leaf (that is what they are called there, kind of like articles on Squidoo are called squids) about my home town.  So, I wrote this nice indepth leaf about Swan River, MB.

I didn't really think too much of it.  It was really just for fun.  What I didn't know was that the president of the Chamber of Commerce had a Google Alert for "Swan River" and found it through that! And he seemed to like it because he forwarded the article to his mailing list.  Once that happened I started getting comments from various people in Swan River that are involved in the town and the tourist committee.  That was pretty cool.

I also wrote a bio for myself on Zujava because it is important to get the word out about yourself when you make a living online.  For one person that read my Swan River leaf, it lead him to my bio.  And that person was Brian Gilroy, the general manager of the Swan Valley Star & Times, our local paper.  It just so happened that they were in need of another reporter for the paper and he invited me to come and talk to him if I was interested.

After a few emails and a discussion, I got a job as a freelance reporter for my local paper!

There's a point to all of this, other than just being proud of the work I've done to promote myself.  The point is that you never know who is going to read your online work, so make it good.  And you never know where it is going to lead you so make sure it is representative of what you are really capable of.

Would you like to do some writing at Zujava, too?  It will give you exposure and you can earn money from your writing!


Sign up for Zujava.com: Simple online publishing.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Andrew. It is just a freelance spot but that's how I like it because I can still do my regular work, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I appreciate your post Danielle. :))
    Keep it up! Good bless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing.. wishing you all success.

    ReplyDelete